DFW METRO

DFW METRO
The Team at Luke's Locker

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bambi, Snakes, and Toes! OH MY!

First of all...GO TEAM!
Second of all...OH MY!

This weekend we jumped up to 10 miles! YESSS!!! oooh, but wait! - Not for Miss Kristi! :/ What a bummer.

The beginning of my run went very well...my coach ran the first mile with me which was very motivating - I'm usually out there alone because I run too fast for some and about 2 minutes/mile too slow for the handful in front of me. So I'm always trying to find ways to keep myself motivated. Usually I just keep saying to myself, "The faster I run, the faster I'll be done, and the faster I can take a nap." Or my mind will start to wonder off in "lala land" thinking about who knows what! The good thing is, the place we train beats running on a treadmill inside a boring gym by a lot!!!

For those of you who don't know where we train, we train out at Grapevine Lake which has a pretty nice trail surrounded by NATURE! During the first half of my run, I looked to my left, and to my surprise...a DEER was just standing around chomping on something. I knew there were wild animals out there, but a deer? Really?!...but so many people are out there all the time!! Maybe it wanted to cheer us on...haha

Probably around mile four, I thought I saw just another twig on the trail....uh....guess again!!! IT WAS A SNAKE! AHHHH!!! SO SO SO SO SOOOO glad I didn't step on it - yeah it was small, but a snake is a snake...not my favorite creature out there! But the good thing about this little fella....mr snake made me run faster - probably for about the next mile! WOO!

So I finally made it up to one of our coolers and met up with some other TNT participants. At this point my body was not doing too great - either I still had a cold or had some pretty nasty allergies. Breathing was becoming a challenge....so of course I kept wanting to walk every 50 steps or so. :/ I decided to finish the rest of the course with two new TNT friends who were on a walk/jog regimen. YES! I couldn't do anything but thank God for bringing me to them during this training session. Getting to know both of them while tackling our mileage was a great distraction from the back of my brain saying to just quit due to the lack of good respiration.

BUT....unfortunately, my foot decided it needed some attention. I had no idea what happened, but my left foot felt bruised. Every time the ball of my foot hit the ground, it wasn't a pleasant feeling. NO NO NO! Of course at this time our coach just happens to be in the area to help us finish....and started worrying about my foot. I have a bad habit of ignoring pain. Growing up in the cheer and dance world, sucking it up and forgetting about pain was drilled into our brains. So here I am trying to answer my coaches questions - mainly about when the pain began and when it started elevating....well I had no idea...lol. He wasn't too happy with my answers.

While trying to figure out what the heck I did to my foot, we both decided that I stop at eight miles instead of continuing to 10. What a disappointment..but I'm pretty sure it was the best thing to do. Later that night at work I was limping around again - our regulars must think I'm just beating up my poor body. (that, or I just don't know how to take care of myself)

Anyway, I think figured out what happened to my foot: back in high school I hurt my big toe and it never healed properly...and when I say hurt, I mean it turned black, blue, purple, and green. Ever since then, I have to pop it in a funny way, and it sure has made it a lot more difficult to stay in releve while doing pirouettes (on my tippy toes whiles doing a turn on one foot). Since it didn't heal properly, I think the constant pounding on it was irritating it....great....silly toe!!

hm...boy oh boy...and the crazy thing is- my problems are NOTHING compared to those out there who are batteling leukemia, lymphoma or any other type of blood disease! Let's get some donations people! My problems are easy to fix, theirs....not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones